Thursday, October 16, 2008

God Does Redeem The Time


IMG_0662

Many times I have felt guilty when the kids and I do something and I think, "why didn't we do this when they were younger". Why didn't I teach them this earlier. Like sewing, baking, etc. The Lord always reminds me that when they were young, William and I were caring for my mom and I couldn't do a lot of things.

My dad died suddenly when Hannah wasn't quite 2 yrs. old. The next year my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers. I am an only child, therefore her care fell to us, which I never begrudged. Sarah and Hayden were born during this time. So, I had 3 children 7 and under with a mother that could not function on her own. We took care of her for 8 years, much of that time in our home. Survival was the word of the day many days.

By the time Hayden was born in 97, my mother couldn't tell the difference in a baby doll and my baby boy. I could not leave him in a room with her, or wouldn't; she never put him at risk.
She would eat a loaf of bread not knowing what she was doing, so I had to lock up all the cabinets and the frig. (we always laughed and said that we bought the baby locks for my mom instead of the kids) Once she set her coat on fire in the bathroom by laying it on a candle; she didn't even realize what she had done. I happened to see the flame from the reflection in the mirror and ran in. Needless to say, we had no more candles in the house after that! God was faithful, she never hurt herself or anyone else. The kids accepted her as she was and William was a wonderful caretaker for her also. He did many things that were above and beyond the call of duty.

I say all this to say this: God does redeem the time. William and Hayden are doing scouts. The girls and I are baking and sewing and planning other new ventures. He honored our sacrifice and has given us the time to do so many things. Blessed be the name of the Lord!!


No comments: