Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Kitchen Battle and A Good Dish

I am a cook, Hannah is a baker. We sometimes clash in the kitchen. She has to have everything measured precisely, which I realize is important in baking. In cooking... not so much. I throw things in according to my preference. She gets all bent out of shape when we are cooking dinner and I am not following the recipe exactly. I say, GROW UP!! hehe

TPW_4961

So, last night we were making White Chicken Enchiladas. Oh my, they are amazing. Add some homemade guacamole on top and you will sing the Hallelujah chorus!

This dish requires at least two skillets to fry the tortillas, you can mix the chicken mixture and put in a bowl, then make your cheese sauce. It is worth it though.

I kept Hannah busy frying the flour tortillas while I made the sauce and chicken mixture. Sneaky me!! That way she doesn't question my every culinary move, which is terribly presumptuous on her part if you ask me. Young whippersnapper!

Here is the recipe:

  • 2-½ cups Cooked, Shredded Chicken (I cook a whole bird)
  • 2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth
  • 3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
  • 8 to 10 flour Tortillas
  • 1 whole Onion, Diced
  • 2 tsp. diced jalapenos or more (I like more!)
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika
  • ½ cups Heavy Cream
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 2-½ cups Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
Instructions

Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Fry tortillas for no longer than 20 seconds, just to soften. Place tortillas on a cloth to drain. (use cloth, not paper, resuse!)

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in separate skillet over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos and saute for 1 minute, just to start the cooking process. Add chicken, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Stir together. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir. Add cream and stir, allowing mixture to bubble and get hot. Turn off heat and put in bowl. (reuse this skillet to make cheese sauce below)

In a separate large skillet, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together and cook over medium heat for one minute. Pour in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. Whisk together and cook for another minute. Stir in some more jalapenos.(the more the merrier!) Reduce heat, then stir in sour cream. Add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese and stir to melt. Add 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Add salt and pepper as needed. (stop right here and dip a chip in this stuff, it is amazing)

To assemble, spoon chicken mixture in tortillas one at a time. Add some shredded cheese and roll up. Place seam side down in a 9 x 13 dish.

Pour cheese mixture all over the top of the tortillas. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*Don't forget to make the guacamole, you will not be disappointed!!

2 comments:

Meredith Ivy said...

Hi Mrs. Queen!

You won my Giveaway!

Please email me at meredithivyalexander@yahoo.com with your address and the color and font style you would prefer for your bag. I look forward to doing your bag and shipping it to you soon!

Deb said...

Hi! just found your blog via a link over at Striving to Serve at Home ~ Congratulations on winning, by the way!

I've just spent some time perusing your site and have really enjoyed it! I already read Hannah's blog and love her photos and just found out your blog is related! Small world!

Thanks for the delicious recipe...we love Mexican anything, and I'll definitely try this one. I'm looking forward to visiting again. :)