Monday, January 4, 2010

I Love My Slow Cooker and Other Stuff

hardworkingLast night I put a huge pork butt in the slow cooker and this morning... tender meat!!! It is magic and convenient! All I had to do was pull it apart and put barbecue sauce on it. We can eat on this for several days.


Tonight I fixed chicken pot pie for dinner. It so easy. Here is the recipe I use. Put any kind of vegetables you want, we like carrots and broccoli. (I don't measure my veggies)

*Cook whole chicken and remove meat. Set aside. Cook veggies a bit to soften. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.

*Take qtr. stick of butter and melt in a pot. Add half a chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add 1/2 cup flour. Then add 1 cup milk and 1 cup chicken broth and mix well. (may need additional liquid if too thick initially. You do want it to thicken though. Add salt and pepper.

*Put one pie crust in bottom of 9x13 pan. Add chicken and vegetables. Pour liquid mixture over top and add second pie crust.

*Cook at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.



Eating at home is vital to our budget. I have figured cost and on average I can fix a meal that is under $3.00 per person. Compare to 8.00 + a person to eat out and there is no earthly reason to eat inferior food out.


Hannah graciously made us brownies tonight!!! Love ya...

1 comment:

marmee said...

i agree...unless we eat real expensive(which doesn't always taste better)...it is not worth it to eat out. i love my slow cooker too.